The Rock Weekly – August 9, 2023
- Tonight – Prayer & Worship – 7pm in the Chapel. Growing in the Word – 6pm in the Prayer Room.
- THIS Sunday, (8/13) – Baptisms will take place. Email Family@therock.org
- Saturday, Sept 2 – Castle Rock Day of Prayer – Mark your calendars! 9-11am at Festival Park.
- Last Chance to sign up! Aug 17th at 7pm – Free Movie Screening: Ordinary Angels at AMC Castle Rock. To reserve tickets CLICK HERE. Password is ANGELS. Seats almost gone!
The Narrow Way
“Small is the gate and NARROW is the Way that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7:14
We have been in a corporate time of prayer and fasting over these past three days and it has caused me to slow down the speed of my days. Not because I planned to or wanted to, but because of a lack of physical energy from not eating. But in doing this act of fasting combined with more intense times of prayer, there is a spiritual awareness that kicks in to a greater level than what I normally experience day to day. Although it isn’t ‘fun’ to go into fasting and prayer, I always find that it helps to re-center me and refocus me from unnecessary distractions and back to the Lord’s heart and His plans for my life. As we were praying today, my spirit landed on these verses in Matthew 7:13-14, where Jesus is speaking to a large group of people on the mountainside and He begins to describe a large gate and wide road that if taken will lead to destruction and that, sadly, many will go that direction. But then He mentions another way…one that has a little gate and a narrow road and that although there will only be a few that will discover this way, this is the only way to life! I can’t imagine what the crowds were thinking at that time, hearing this for the first time, but I am certain that it was cutting right to their hearts.
I have to be honest, as I meditated on this, it was a little disturbing to my heart as I am a pastor and my whole ‘career’ is set on people finding the way to eternal life…that only a few will find. And then to know that they must not only find the way, but continue to walk this narrow path. That said, I know the task the Lord has given me and my response is, “Here am I, send me…but I need a lot of help Holy Spirit!” I know that I must remain humble, obedient, loving, and in-step with the Holy Spirit at all times so that Christ will be revealed through my life as it is no longer my own. I also realize that in order to help others on this narrow way, I myself need to remain on this narrow way – steadfast in Jesus!
My prayer is that we would all make every effort to walk this narrow way that Jesus refers to by surrendering our lives fully to Jesus. Not just once, but on a daily basis…dying to our selfish ways, our own nature, desires, wants, plans, and to focus our lives on knowing God’s desires and way and doing His will. It won’t be easy, but this is the only way to life…this is going through the small gate and walking the narrow road. A couple of verses come to mind (with my paraphrase):
- Matt 7:21 – Only the ones who do the will of my Father in heaven will enter the kingdom of heaven.
- Matt 7:24 – Only the one who hears my words and then puts them into practice will have their life built in me.
- Matt 16:24-25 – The only way to follow Jesus is to deny yourself and take up your cross. If you try to save your life and live for the things of this world, you will lose your soul.
- Romans 6:4 “We are therefore buried with Christ Jesus through baptism into death (of our lives) in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
- 1 John 2:15,17 – If anyone loves the world or anything in the world, the Father’s love is not in them…but the ones who do the will of God will have life eternal.
I will leave you with a quote from Rick Joyner, “Death to self-will, to self-promotion, and to self-seeking is the path to the greatest freedom and release of spirit we will ever know. If we are dead to this world, what can the world do to us? It is impossible for a dead man to feel rejection, insecurity, insult, or fear. When we have entered into the true baptism, we are freed from the bondage of anything the world can inflict upon us and Satan can no longer have any dominion over us.”
Lord, I pray that you would give us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in order to find and walk your narrow way every day in the strength and the power of the Holy Spirit. As followers of Jesus, may we flee from all worldly desires and temptations, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness as we fight the good fight of faith and take hold of the eternal life to which we were called! (1 Tim 6:11-12) Amen!
I love you all and am honored and humbled to be your pastor!
Pastor Mike and your Rock Staff
IMPORTANT SERVICE & WEEKLY INFORMATION:
YOUTH ~ BASE CAMP (6th – 12th Grade) – WEDNESDAY NIGHT – 7:00pm
Invite a friend and come have a great time. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
EMBER – Young Adults (Ages 18-29) – Friday Nights at 6:30pm
Meet in the Chapel for a time of worship, prayer, teaching, and connection.
FOOD BANK DISTRIBUTION – 1st & 3rd Saturday of the Month
Email Lindy@therock.org if you would like to volunteer or have questions.
SUNDAY MORNING PRE-SERVICE PRAYER 8:15-9:15am – *In-Person & On-line*
ZOOM Direct Video Link:
ZOOM Meeting ID: 853 4016 4797
ZOOM Phone Option +12532158782,,85340164797#
OPPORTUNITIES TO GIVE Here are some ways you can partner with The Rock as you practice generosity – our regular tithe/giving, compassion help, missions, and our food bank. Click on the following link or graphic. www.therock.org/give
Have a Question, Need Prayer, Help, Feel Alone, or Disconnected?
Please email us at email@example.com and put QUESTION, PRAYER, NEED HELP, or CONNECT ME at the top of your email.