The Rock Weekly – May 10, 2023
- Tonight – Prayer & Worship Night – 7pm in the Chapel. Growing in the Word – 6pm in the Prayer Room.
- This Sunday is Mother’s Day! Moms – come before Service for a free cup of your favorite coffee from Lighthouse Coffee.
- May 7-28 – Isaiah 62 Fast – Join us for prayer at 7am Monday – Friday in the Chapel and over Zoom as we join with millions of believers asking the Holy Spirit to reveal Jesus as the Messiah to the Jewish people. Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81706973753?pwd=bkhtRlNxL3E3SnZCTU1oSFNHcHJNQT09 OR by Phone: +17193594580,,81706973753# Password: 1
- June 7-10th – City Quake Colorado Conference & Activation. An equipping of churches across Colorado to see the gospel shared and the power of God revealed in our communities. City Quake Colorado Registration LINK
- Saturday, June 17th – Training on Home Defense Fundamentals and Concealed Carry will be offered for FREE by head of security, Mike Spray, at 12:30pm at The Rock. This course is part of a national day to train teachers and increase safety and protection for our children. Nationaltrainateacherday.com Must register by May 25th. REGISTER HERE
- July 5-8 – Youth Summer Camp Register now
“V.13 (NLT) If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.
V. 14 (TPT) Never brag or boast about what you’ve done and you’ll prove that you’re truly wise. But if there is bitter jealousy or competition hiding in your heart, then don’t deny it and try to compensate for it by boasting and being phony. For that has nothing to do with God’s heavenly wisdom but can best be described as the wisdom of this world, both selfish and devilish.” James 3:13-14
I love how James speaks so plainly about true wisdom. He sets a very clear marker for what it looks like to be wise in the Kingdom of God; true wisdom is a life that shines for Jesus. It does not build up ‘self’, nor does true wisdom brag or boast. True wisdom is gentle and kind, full of good (God) works and humility.
These verses go straight to the heart for many of us. We often ask the Lord for wisdom and direction, but we continue to behave in our world-like patterns, competing with each other, boasting about things we have accomplished, and building ourselves up.
Have you ever found yourself in a setting where others are sharing their successes and you feel the need to chime in with your own amazing story that is just a little bit better than their story? Or when you get a great deal on a new product and need to share ‘what an amazing deal you got’ as if you’re winning? Or perhaps someone’s child has a great accomplishment, and you have the urge to share your own child’s slightly better achievement? I believe this is James’ point when he talks about boasting. Self promotion & jealousy are ‘not God’s kind of wisdom’(v.15). Wisdom from heaven is not self-promoting, but is a life lived for Jesus, singing His praises and not our own.
In our everyday Christian life there are things that draw us into ‘walking with the world’ and there are things that keep us walking close to Jesus. When we behave like the world, boasting, prideful, competitive, jealous, and selfish, we invite the ways of the enemy to work in our lives…we are living by Satan’s rules (worldly wisdom). But when we live by the wisdom of heaven, “pure, peace-loving, gentle at all times, willing to yield to others, full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds,… showing no favoritism and always sincere” (James 3:17), we live according to the ways of heaven and the wisdom of heaven is displayed in our life.
I am challenged to live out these commands today. Instead of continually asking for wisdom, but not changing my behavior of self-promotion, I’m going to focus on walking in the wisdom of heaven and humility, knowing that the Holy Spirit will gently convict me when I get off track.
Father, thank you for modeling humility through your Son Jesus who washed feet, ate with beggars and sinners, taught women and outcasts, and did not brag when He raised the dead. Help us to lay aside our desires to boast and brag, and to walk with pure hearts, in gentleness and humility.
We love you and Happy early Mother’s Day!
Pastor Kristi and your Rock Staff
IMPORTANT SERVICE & WEEKLY INFORMATION:
YOUTH ~ BASE CAMP (6th – 12th Grade) – WEDNESDAY NIGHT – 7:00pm
Invite a friend and come have a great time. If you have any questions, email email@example.com
EMBER – Young Adults (Ages 18-29) – Friday Nights at 6:30pm
Meet in the Chapel for a time of worship, prayer, teaching, and connection.
FOOD BANK DISTRIBUTION – 1st & 3rd Saturday of the Month
Email Lindy@therock.org if you would like to volunteer or have questions.
SUNDAY MORNING PRE-SERVICE PRAYER 8:15-9:15am – *In-Person & On-line*
ZOOM Direct Video Link:
ZOOM Meeting ID: 853 4016 4797
ZOOM Phone Option +12532158782,,85340164797#
OPPORTUNITIES TO GIVE Here are some ways you can partner with The Rock as you practice generosity – our regular tithe/giving, compassion help, missions, and our food bank. Click on the following link or graphic. www.therock.org/give
Have a Question, Need Prayer, Help, Feel Alone, or Disconnected?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and put QUESTION, PRAYER, NEED HELP, or CONNECT ME at the top of your email.